fxp0: device timed out problem

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 23 06:30:19 PST 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Ganbold wrote:

> I'm having trouble on FreeBSD 5.3 with squid-2.5.7. Squid installed from
> ports collection.
>
> cache4# uname -an
> FreeBSD cache4.micom.mng.net 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #2: Wed Dec 15
> 18:26:14 ULAT
> 2004     tsgan at cache4.micom.mng.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CACHEK  i386
>
> After few hours machine hangs and stops responding saying following
> error:
>
> fxp0: device timed out.
>
> I turned off debug.mpsafenet to 0 and it seems like problem goes away.
<snip>
> Is this problem related to network stack? Or is it related to fxp driver?

It's most likely a problem with the device driver or interrupt
configuration on your system.  There are a couple of other variables you
might try frobbing:

- Use of ACPI to configure the hardware
- Use of "device apic" if the system is non-SMP

Usually a device timed out error is related to interrupts from the device
not being delivered, being delivered improperly, etc.  Does your dmesg
contain any references to interrupt storms?  Once the above message has
printed, do you see any further interrupts on the fxp interrupt source
when checking intermittently with "systat -vmstat 1" or "vmstat -i"?

Robert N M Watson