Cannot install kernel as user

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Fri Jan 21 16:41:56 PST 2005

> Well, firstly I wanted to introduced the NO_INSTALLCHOWN variable as I
> said in my previous mail, preventing install(8) from doing a chown(2)
> on the installed file (kernel or module).  But I finally decided to
> use a variable named INSTALLCHOWN which will contain "-o user -g group".
> This is more flexible and reduces the patch to its simplest form.

Sorry I'm quite tired, I realize I didn't give a good explanation.
INSTALLCHOWN will default to
	o "-o root -g wheel" when installing kernel,
	o "-o ${KMODOWN} -g {KMODGRP}" when installing module.

It can be overrided to whatever you want and in particular, it may
be set to nothing when you want to install as user (no chown(2)
performed).

--
Jeremie Le Hen
jeremie at le-hen.org