no /dev/ums0 when module loaded

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Sun Jan 16 23:04:39 PST 2005

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:07, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>
>>: I preload all the USB modules I plan to use (a bit annoying I admit). I
>>: believe there is ongoing work in this area though.
>>
>>There is indeed ongoing work in this area.  Unless you need ugen,
>>don't load it is the best answer for now.  I have some work that I'm
>>migrating to the tree, but this will take a while to get into the
>>tree...
>

> Does not having ugen make this stuff work?
> Hmm actually let me try.. No doesn't seem to :(
>
> ie..
> unplug mouse
> kldunload ums
> kldunload ugen
> plug in mouse
> kldload ums
> nothing :)

no, because the USB system doesn't have an interface to allow a new driver to
taste all the unattached devices..  in the case of ugen, it would have to
allow new drivers to get tentative information from ugen about its devices
and a method for requesting ugen to give up a device.

hopefully we can grow such a capability with time.