non-killable process

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 15 05:47:18 PST 2005

On 2005.01.12 10:26:41 +0100, Divacky Roman wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have CFLAGS=-Os (dunno if it matters) compiled ports/net/iftop. and whenever
> I run it on recent 6-current it "hangs":
>   880  v4  R+     0:00.05 iftop
> (ps ax output)
>
> and it cannot be killed - I can repeat it, so this might reveal some bug. I use
> sched_ule.

I'm seeing a similar problem on a 5.3-RELEASE SMP system using the
4BSD scheduler.  I have two processes which just won't die.  At first
(before I knew there was a problem) I simply tried to kill the program
with CTRL-C, but I don't know if that is related.  I use -O
optimizations.

34916  p0  RN+  150:04,80 webazolver (webalizer)
34940  p0  RNE+  31:17,24 webazolver (webalizer)

I didn't "nice" the processes until after I had found out I couldn't
kill them.

Since this is my main mail/web/etc server I'm haven't tried to trace
the proccesses in ddb yet.

--
Simon L. Nielsen