Oracle & linprocfs (was: Re: linux kernel-land)

Wed Jan 5 03:11:03 PST 2005

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:11:26 +0200
Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:

[Full quote for the benefit of the people in the CC]

> BTW, I've got another linux kernel-land thingy: I have Oracle
> installation made with previous default linux base (7), now after
> upgrade to linux_base-8 (and linux_devtools-8) I can not start oracle
> server (actually database instance) with the following error:
>
> oracle$ ./dbora.sh start
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Jan 4 18:49:51 2005
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> SQL> Connected to an idle instance.
> SQL> ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kcbbnwa_1], [0], [0],
> [], [], [], [], []
> SQL> Disconnected
>
> I see that there was at least another person who had the similar problem
> with linux_base-8 a while ago:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-database/2004-February/000149.html

> Using ktrace I tracked it down to reading "/proc/stat" and after playing
> around a little bit I found out that Oracle (or some redhat 8 lib that
> Oracle used) probably missed one line there:
>
> cpu 2010442 17367 694544 14507692
> + cpu0 2010442 17367 694544 14507692
> page 131869 24567
> swap 1570 51873
> intr 772076592
> ctxt 1512209526
> btime 1104346761
>
> I see that "real linux" (Fedora Core 2) has this line too (yes, even in
> the single CPU case).
>
> After I fixed sys/compat/linprocfs/linprocfs.c to always produce cpu%d
> line(s) my oracle started to behave again.
>
> I am not sure if this is actually linux_base or linux_devtools related
> or if this affects fresh Oracle installations.

I think this is a serious issue. Please send-pr the patch and tell us at
current@ (CCed) the PR number. A src-committer should have a look at it.

I don't think it's linux_devtools related (it's easy to test it, right
:-) ).

Do you have a 4.x system (or maybe ceri@ can test it on a 4.x system)? I
like to know if we have the problem there too now (re@ CCed because they
may decide to take this issue into account regarding the upcoming 4.11
release... at least there should be a note somewhere to not use
linprocfs and Oracle at the same time).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
               Speak softly and carry a cellular phone.