IBM Blade Center - FreeBSD on HS20 type MTM 8832/N1X

Jonathan Fosburgh syjef at mdanderson.org
Thu Dec 29 07:55:14 PST 2005

On Thursday 29 December 2005 09:29, Rainer Duffner wrote:

> Are you sure it's not USB?
> We have a LS20 blade-center and the whole media-bay (where floppy and
> cdrom live) and the KVM are connected via USB - it's even USB1.1, so
> installling something from CDROM is dead-slow (in addition, the
> brain-dead java remote-console together with this USB-CDROM-crazyness
> makes remote-installation of RHEL3+4 impossible...).

I'm not sure what type the LS20 is (we have JS20 PowerPC blades running AIX).
I do believe all of the internal connections are USB.

> Your floppy is not SCSI, rather it's connected via USB and the kernel
> makes it look like a SCSI-device...
>
> We've got no local drives, only SAN and as such FreeBSD is pretty much a
> no-go. I need something that works (and is supported) with my SAN...

If you can get RHEL installed that is supported, though I guess it depends on
the type of storage you have.  It is supported by IBM storage, as is SUSE.

--
Jonathan Fosburgh
AIX and Storage Administrator