Can't run KDE after cvsup

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Dec 27 07:05:40 PST 2005

On 2005-12-27 00:01, Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > On 2005-12-26 15:38, Nicolas Blais <nb_root at videotron.ca> wrote:
> >> Reply to self:
> >>
> >> Found the problem, it was /tmp/.ICE-unix/ which was owned by my
> >> username instead of root for some reason.  chown'ing it back to root
> >> solved my problem.
> >
> > There are a few buglets in recent versions of /etc/rc.d/cleantmp.

> Well, a good start would be to let me know what the buglets are. :)

Hi Doug :)

I thought I had mailed you already about this, but apparently the
message was lost somewhere.  With the recent email problems I've had,
it may not be so strange.  Anyway, here's a copy of the message:

    On 2005-12-20 23:22, Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
    > dougb       2005-12-20 23:22:47 UTC
    >
    >   FreeBSD src repository
    >
    >   Modified files:
    >     etc/rc.d             cleartmp
    >   Log:
    >   Include a somewhat hackish way to make sure that we *always* test the
    >   new clear_tmp_X variable when start'ing.
    >
    >   Revision  Changes    Path
    >   1.15      +6 -1      src/etc/rc.d/cleartmp

    This doesn't seem to work too well though.  Revision 1.12 of cleartmp
    correctly creates .ICE-unix and the other X11 socket dirs in /tmp in my
    mfs /tmp filesystem.  Newer revisions fail to do this, for two reasons:

        The cleartmp_prestart() function runs only when the script runs with
        $1 set to 'start', but the boot process calls the script with
        'faststart'.

        Even when I change cleartmp to recognise faststart, onestart, start
        and forcestart, the cleartmp_prestart() function runs before
        cleartmp_start(), creates the directories, only to have them deleted
        immediately by cleartmp_start() when run_rc_command is called.

    I'm not sure if there's a good way to modify cleartmp to do both things
    correctly, at least without something equally hackish like:

        run_rc_command "$@" || exit $?

        case $1 in
        start|faststart|forcestart|onestart)
            clear_tmp_prestart
            ;;
        esac

    or if it's better to make two cleartmp scripts :-/