"Native" journaling file systems?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 19 09:03:03 PST 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 08:30:40AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
+> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:28:16AM -0500, Justin Smith wrote:
+> > Are there any plans to develop UFS3--- i.e., a UFS2 file system with an
+> > added journal?
+>
+> Its been a dream of ours for a while now.
+> Just need a dream maker to submit the patches.

It's right around the corner:)

Seriously speaking there are three projects going on:

- UFS+J - journaling for UFS2 (Scott Long is responsible for it),
- XFS - read-only support is in the base system and read-write support
  in development (AFAIK),
- gjournal (not the gjournal project from SoC), developed by me.
  The work is finished. This is device (GEOM) level journaling, but
  allows for UFS journaling as well. I'm currently in the process of
  testing it. It allows for other cool things as well... :)