em interrupt storm

Doug Ambrisko ambrisko at ambrisko.com
Thu Dec 1 12:09:50 PST 2005

Kris Kennaway writes:
| On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 11:53:00AM -0800, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
| > Kris Kennaway writes:

| > |
| > | With SMP, I don't recall if I tried it without.  SMP is pretty useless
| > | on 4.x (often hurts more than it helps), so this may be an acceptable
| > | workaround for the OP.
| >
| > Could you try without SMP?  I wonder if the BIOS sets things up okay
| > in UP mode.  I saw strangeness on our PE2850's in SMP mode that didn't
| > happen in UP mode.  This is with 4.X.
|
| Without SMP, the amr and em0 devices are both assigned to irq10.
| There does not appear to be an interrupt storm coming from amr
| activity (60 interrupts/sec on irq10), but I don't know if this irq
| configuration would have stormed anyway, and of course the shared
| interrupt is sub-optimal.

That seems consistant with what I've seen.  FWIW, I have a storm
detector in our patched amr driver.  If I see more then 500
calls to the interrupt handler per tick then I wait until they
slow down.  This prevents the death spiral I saw in SMP mode.

It looks like we'll be looking into this more since we are seeing
problems when adding more NIC's in the box.  To date we've been
band-aiding the problem.

Thanks,

Doug A.