mdconfig recently broken?

Dario Freni saturnero at freesbie.org
Mon Aug 29 13:45:43 GMT 2005

Hi everybody,
due to limited connectivity in August, I've been able to
update my -CURRENT box only yesterday since the first days of August
(iirc).

I noticed that mdconfig -a -t vnode -f ${myfile} isn't working anymore
when ${myfile} is on a read-only filesystem:

sberta:/usr/local/freesbie-clone/uzip# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f usr.uzip
md0
sberta:/usr/local/freesbie-clone/uzip# mdconfig -d -u 0
sberta:/usr/local/freesbie-clone/uzip# mount -fru /usr
sberta:/usr/local/freesbie-clone/uzip# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f usr.uzip
mdconfig: ioctl(/dev/mdctl): Read-only file system

This makes impossible to use compressed filesystems on devices like
cdrom or read-only diskless environment. Any idea? I'm using:

FreeBSD sberta.saturnero.sat 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #2: Sat Aug 27 18:1
5:39 CEST 2005     satu at sberta.saturnero.sat:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SBERTA  i386
sberta:/usr/local/freesbie-clone/uzip#

Bye and thanks in advance,
Dario