Unable to connect to wireless 802.11 AP with hidden SSID

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 26 09:24:26 GMT 2005

Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 05:46:53PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>>Rudolf Cejka wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>  after an upgrade from 5.x to 7.x (Aug 22), I'm unable to connect to
>>>wireless 802.11 access point, which hides its own SSID, using dhclient
>>>(manual settings do work, however it is not very good workaround...).
>>
>>I can't judge the validity of the patch, but I did want to give a "me too"
>>on the new dhclient inexplicably blanking a valid ssid when it's started.
>>The ssid on my APs is not hidden now, although I have seen this behavior
>>with both hidden and visible ssids.
>

> Which device are you using?  This certainly sounds like a driver bug to
> me.  I can't seem to trivialy replicate it with the iwi(4) or ath(4)
> nics I use with me laptop.

I'm 100% sure it was happening with my ndis card, fairly certain it was
happening with ath too, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Did you have a chance to review the patch submitted by Rudolf?

Doug