filesystem performance with lots of small files

Marian Hettwer MH at kernel32.de
Thu Aug 25 17:58:10 GMT 2005

Hi there,

I'm actually testing around with FreeBSD 6 BETA 3. Regarding stability
I'm really pleased, it runs and runs and runs :)
No problems on that front.
Back to the topic. I have a directory with several thousands (800k and
more) small files. UFS2 shows a pretty low performance. I don't have
numbers yet, but I'd like to know in advance wether there are tunable
parameters. I couldn't find any sysctl'´s or kernel parameters.
I'll report numbers, as soon as I have them.
And yes, I disabled the debugging features in my kernel (WITNESS,
INVARIANTS ...)
Besides, I know that 6-BETA is not about performance at all :)

any tips on file system performance with small files, though ?

best regards,
Marian