fontsize and dpi (was Re: Beta2: Nice job!)

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Aug 24 02:26:30 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 10:59, Doug Barton wrote:
> Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > You really shouldn't change your DPI as a way of modifying your font
> > size..
> >
> > Your display really is 75 (well 76) DPI
>
> Ca/usr/src/tools/tools/recoverdisk/n you explain a little more about that?
I've never really understood the
> interactions of all these different elements.

Well DPI is the number of dots per inch your monitor shows.

When you say "I want a 8 point font" you mean "please make the font a size
such that a lowercase x is 8/32 inches high on my display device".

So if you have a 76 DPI monitor it ends up 19 pixels high, and for a 300dpi
printer it would be 75 pixels high, but as long as the DPI settings are
correct they will be the same physical size.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum