Oddness attempting to mount ext2fs

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 16:33:09 GMT 2005

On 8/23/05, Justin R. Smith <jsmith at drexel.edu> wrote:
> My uname:
>
> FreeBSD jsmith.org 6.0-BETA3 FreeBSD 6.0-BETA3 #0: Tue Aug 23 08:04:37
> EDT 2005     jsmith at jsmith.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  i386
>
> The command
>
> mount_ext2fs /dev/ad5s1 /linux
>
> results in the message
>
> mount_ext2fs: /dev/ad5s1: Operation not permitted
>
> and in dmesg, the message
>
> WARNING: R/W mount denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck

I had the same problem here in 5.4. Is this by chance an ext3
partition? If so, try fsck'ing it with fsck_ext2fs, then it should
mount ok. You can also try mount -f ... which may work. My partition
was also clean when I last used it in Linux. Either it's balking
because it's ext3, or there may be a bug causing it to detect it as
non-clean.

Regards,
Josh