[RELENG_6] wireless woes

Michael Lestinsky michael at uugrn.org
Tue Aug 23 12:09:18 GMT 2005

"Darren Pilgrim" <dmp at bitfreak.org> wrote:

> Some of the details of your ipw configuration are missing.

Ah, sorry. I've forgotten those.

> How are you loading the firmware for the card?

I'm using the rc-script from the ipw-firmware port. It defaults to loading
the bss-firmware.

> How are you telling the OS to which ssid it should associate?

Manually with ifconfig:

ifconfig ipw0 media autoselect ssid mile_ap nwkey 0xprivatewepkey

ipw0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
        ether 00:04:23:5e:3f:cc
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
        status: no carrier
        ssid mile_ap
        authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey 1 wepkey 1:104-bit txpowmax 100

But I don't see my accesspoint at all (wicontrol ipw0 -l/L).

Bye,
Michael