Beta2: Nice job!

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 22 12:54:23 GMT 2005

Andrew Gallatin píše v po 22. 08. 2005 v 08:39 -0400:

> - X.org is a major downgrade from XFree86 3.x in terms of fonts.
>   linux-mozilla, linux-firefox, etc, all look terrible & blurry
>   compared to XFree86-3.x or Windows.
>
>   I've installed the bitstream-vera fonts, and messed with
>   ~/.fonts.conf for hours turning on/off anti-aliasing, subpixel
>   rendering, hinting, autohinting, etc.  I know I'm having an effect,
>   because each change manages to make things worse.  This is a
>   75x75dpi 1024x768 LCD screen driven by a NeoMagic video chip.
>
>   I've got the same problem with fonts on my desktop (1600x1200 LCD
>   panel), but I'd always assumed that it was something about this
>   particular LCD.

Forget these linux-* relics from times when Netscape only came as binary
kludgepackage.

Try native mozilla/firefox, you will be pleasantly surprised with the
slicky smoothness of fonts delivered by freetype and libXft.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

In God we trust. All others must use the callback verifier.