unionfs on 6.0-BETA2 amd64

Wilhelm B. Kloke wb at arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Aug 12 07:11:14 GMT 2005

I tried 6.0-BETA2 amd64 yesterday. It seems to work quite a lot better
an my nforce3-250 based system than 5.4. With one exception:
I used to mount /data/src-5.4 onto /usr/src with unionfs on 5.4. Any
write attempt under 6.0 causes reboot (I tried to rename a file in
/sys/amd64/conf/ ).

I changed the setup to nullfs. This works.

But: I really hope that unionfs works some day. I love the idea of having
a writable file system laid over a read-only one. IMHO this would scale
much easier than softupdates on file systems where most files don't change
often.
--
Dipl.-Math. Wilhelm Bernhard Kloke
Institut fuer Arbeitsphysiologie an der Universitaet Dortmund