More into /etc/rc.d/jail

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Aug 10 05:54:21 GMT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 12:05:26AM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi Brooks,
>
> > > This was recently discussed in some thread.  The problem with this
> > > approach is that file backed md(4) devices are too slow to make it
> > > standard.  This is why this won't go into FreeBSD, IMHO.
> >
> > Nonsense.  Integrating support for mounting file backed MD file systems
> > at boot would be quite logical even if md(4) devices are slow.  In a
> > large portion of cases, the overhead isn't relevent compared to the
> > administrative freedom granted by using files instead of partitions.
>
> Ok.  Then Stefan Bethke's script (see his mail in this thread) might be
> a better solution since it is a more generic.  However it is not
> explicitely bound to jails has initially requested, so a note in jail(8)
> manpage would be worth in this case.

I'm of two minds about a more generic solution.  On hand jails aren't
the only logical consumers of file backed mds.  On the other hand,
there's a fair bit of value in being able to start and stop a jail with
"/etc/rc.d/jail start|stop <jailname>".  The answer here might be to
have an mdmount (or something) script that runs fairly early in the
boot process, but also supports a "mdmount start|stop <path>" form.
Code could then be hooked into the jail script to use that to mount and
unmount jail drives during the start/stop process.  I'm not sure what
hte best approach is.

-- Brooks