Hifn driver in SMP (was Re: GELI - disk encryption GEOM class committed.)

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Aug 9 02:52:57 GMT 2005

At 05:25 PM 08/08/2005, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>In message <6.2.1.2.0.20050808162711.04d40c28 at 64.7.153.2>, Mike Tancsa writes:
> >At 11:12 AM 08/08/2005, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >
> >>I belive there is a bug in the HiFn chips that makes them do a soft reset
> >>under some set of circumstances which we have never been able to nail
> >>down.
> >
> >Actually,
> >         I think this is something different.  I know the issue you are
> >referring to, and it seems to happen on many (but not all) motherboards.
> >Note, this problem does not happen in UP mode on this box, only on
> >SMP.  Also, I just booted RELENG_4_11 on the box and installed an SMP
> kernel.
>
>You mean "We have only seen the problem in UP mode on this box, we don't
>know if it happens in SMP mode also".
>
>Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense.

I think I am making the issue confusing.  Using the same hardware, each time--

RELENG_4
Both in UNi Processor mode and SMP, all works fine. The hifn card does not
lock up
RELENG_6, in uni processor mode the card does not lock up.  Recompile to
SMP, it locks up pretty quick.

However, its not a deadlock issue like the previous HiFn problems I have
run into. I am guessing its some sort of interrupt routing issue as the box
totally shuts down in some strange suspend state. (See the thread
6.0-CURRENT SNAP004 hangs on amr (patch))

         ---Mike