No keyboard in sysinstall in 6.0-BETA2

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Aug 7 05:24:35 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 19:08 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6.0-BETA2 from CD on Dell Precision 380.
> The machine has a PS/2 keyboard on it.  The keyboard works fine in the
> BIOS, and at the Booting... prompt.  However, once sysinstall comes up,
> the keyboard is dead.  Nothing I type will be accepted.  The machine
> does not appear to be panicked or hung.
>
> I switched from vidconsole to comconsole, and sysinstall works, so
> perhaps this has something to do with the new keyboard mux?
>
> Dmesg is at http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/NEW-SHUMAI.dmesg

More news on this.  After getting 6.0-BETA2 installed from the serial
console, I found that _any_ input on the PS/2 port causes the machine to
lock up hard.  I can break into the debugger, but as soon as I hit any
key on the PS/2 keyboard, the machine locks up. I can't type anything
(even from the serial console).  The only way out is to do a hard reset.

I've tried building a custom kernel and disabling apic and acpi.
Nothing will get 6.0 to work with any locally attached keyboard.

I also found a CD of 5.4-RC3, which boots perfectly on this machine with
working PS/2 and USB keyboards.  So, I thought maybe the kbdmux was the
problem.  I reverted the kbd code to original RELENG_6 version (kbd.c
rev. 1.43 and kbdreg.h rev. 1.17), and the keyboard works once again.
Anything else I can try to debug this problem with kbdmux further?
Thanks.

Joe