Using "make -d l" makes buildworld to fail

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 4 15:26:46 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:14:15PM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to run multiple buildworlds with and without debugging ("-d l")
> these last days.  I was nearly turning mad while I realized that
> buildworld would fail in "rescue" when using "-d l" make option.
>
> Both typescripts with and without the debugging option are available :
> 	http://jeremie.le-hen.org/~tataz/make_-d_l_buildworld.gz (ko)
> 	http://jeremie.le-hen.org/~tataz/make_buildworld.gz (ok)
>
> This is not the stock source tree, but I checked on a non-modified
> tree and the behaviour is the same.

crunchgen(1) is broken: it generates a makefile to find a
list of object files for a given program, then calls it,
parses the output, and expects it to start with the line
"OBJS=".  If something is passed in the MAKEFLAGS environment
variable, like -Dl, things are really screwed.

Unfortunately, there's no way to remove "-d" and its
following argument from .MAKEFLAGS as is done for -P
(in rescue/rescue/Makefile), and setting an empty
.MAKEFLAGS is not an option too -- we at least need
to pass the -m option and its argument.  :(

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org