Sub-optimal libc's read-ahead buffering behaviour

Andrey Chernov ache at FreeBSD.ORG
Thu Aug 4 09:37:19 GMT 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 10:58:38AM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> I think that any buffering should be disabled for reading from chardev
> no matter how "historic" our current behaviour is.

Perhaps so. But this thing is user-controlled. He can explicetely use
setvbuf to disable buffering. If he does not, he knows, that this
particular chardev is buffer-friendly. Since he can't control in-buffer
seeking on/off trigger, it always stays off for chardev.

--
http://ache.pp.ru/