cleanup-boot.messages+overhaul-install

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sat Apr 30 20:28:37 PDT 2005

On Sat 30 Apr 05 16:52, Michael Nottebrock <lofi at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Saturday, 30. April 2005 13:26, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> > Personally, I'd *love* to be able to install KMail without having
> > to install kdebase and kdelibs,
>
> just kdelibs, in fact

Really? Well, never tried that ... but I do use other parts of KDE, so
not sure how practical it would be to not have the base. Also, I do
like Konqueror as a file manager.

> > not to mention the rest of kdepim, but
> > trying to convince the KDE project to uncouple it from the rest of
> > the project is rather like tilting at windmills.
>
> It's important to keep in mind that such a KMail would be a different
> program than it is today, with a different (considerably smaller)
> feature set.

Well, getting deep into bikeshed territory here, but, yeah, I know. At
first this used to frustrate me, but I've also found that other parts
of kdepim are useful to me, and I like having the integration (KGpg in
particular is a big help when using with KMail, and I've come to like
KOrganizer, as it integrates with my address book and KMail), but I
don't usually run KDE as a desktop, as it's more than I need. Also,
it's nice to be able to install other parts of KDE if I find the need.
I run xfce4 with parts of KDE and Gnome, and my favorite terminal
emulator is Eterm (it's so fast), though the full Enlightenment is cool
but not my thing, and I never did like Gnome as a desktop. Sorta
piecemeal, but it works for me. I'm just glad disk space is cheap these
days ;)

- jt