FW: pmtu patch

Qing Li qingli at speakeasy.net
Fri Apr 29 19:30:40 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Qing Li [mailto:qingli at FreeBSD.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 5:36 PM
To: andre at freebsd.org
Cc: qingli at freebsd.org
Subject: pmtu patch

    Hi Andre,

    I was thinking whether we could add another variable
    in "hc_metrics" called "u_long rmx_mtu_lastupdate" and
    perhaps a new function called "tcp_hc_getmtu_update"

    When we get the ICMP PRC_MSGSIZE notification, we do

    if (((time_second() - tcp_hc_getmtu_update(&inc)) < PMTU_MIN)
        do_nothing;
    else {
    }

    If there is no suggested mtu value, instead of immediately
    falling back to the default, or rely on the original
    packet fragment, can we just use the mtu value in the
    host cache as the basis for the next try as in:

    else {

        <set new value for rmx_mtu_lastupdate>

        mtu = ip_next_mtu(tcp_hc_getmtu(&inc), 1);

    }

    -- Qing