boot banner project

/dev/null null at dnswatch.com
Fri Apr 29 01:35:00 PDT 2005

> Well I don't believe it sucks.  It's a good project.  I'm also working
> on a few projects that hopefully will add a few frills like linux.  I
> for enjoy Red Hat's boot:
>
> mounting file systems ok
> network      ok
> Mysql    failed
>
> etc etc.  The one thing you should keep in mind is that a lot of
> people who use freebsd don't care about the "frills" that linux has
> added.  However what they fail to realize is that it attracts and
> keeps users. I have been around FreeBSD for a long time
> ...almost....10 years...started as an admin.  I had to install some
> linux servers for work.  I was impressed.  The last time I used linux
> was redhat 6.x.  Until we start adding the "frills" especially ones
> that are realatively easy (or seem easy) to do as well as disable we
> will never have the user base.  I'm actually about to star work on
> these linux "frils" projects:
>
> 1.  Adding full read/write / nfs support for reiserfs 4
> 2.  Total rewrite of sysinstall to be like Red Hat's Anaconda (graphical)
For ppl that have never installed FBSD b4 I think a GUI installer is a
must. But personally, the *only* thing I would change in the current
installer is better cursor handling. OK maybe I would also add a refresh
button - I hate it when the screen gets trashed from some console message.
> 3.  FreeBSD Update (ala Red hat update / Windows update)
It's already available in the 5x series (and late 4?). It's called
portaudit and is the *BEST* implimentation for any OS I have ever used.
A "must have" for any FBSD user. Look in the ports/security section of
your local installation.
> 4.  GUI Kernel configurator
> 5.  GUI port manager (add / delete ports)
There are a few incarnations of this(ese) already available depending of
your windowmanager/ console choice.
> 6.  Other Small System enhancements
>
> If you want maybe we could create a group who's purpose is to create
> system enhancements......let's come up with some projects work on them
> and see if they are willing to commit them ........  think about it.
Not to sound as if I'm shunning you, but I think we're already in one -
this group, no? :)
I'll give it some thought.

-Chris

> On 4/28/05, /dev/null <null at dnswatch.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>  As this is an RFC (I'm sure you already know that).
>>
>> Long answer:
>> I'm not quite sure. It will depend on the amount and content
>> of the comments. Technically, it may not start ever (because
>> everyone/ or nearly everyone says it SUX).
>>
>> Short answer:
>>  Too early for me to say.
>>
>> _Chris
>>
>> > When are you starting the project?

 If only Western Electric had found a way to offer
binary licenses for the UNIX system back in 1974,
the UNIX system would be running on all PC's today
rather than DOS/Windows.