FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

Robert Backhaus robbak at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 05:39:24 PDT 2005

On 4/28/05, pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com <pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I find the "what I broke is not my problem" attitude unacceptable.

To some extent, yes, although ports changes will occour, and with it
some ports faulres. These will be picked up by bentoo and fixed by the
maintainer, or someone interested in the port. That may be you.
Changes to the ports system to improve maintainabiliy are essential to
it's survival.
> Well.. while updating from 5.2.1 to 5.3 I esentially had to remove all packages
> and install XFree86-4 (which is not in the ISO). I decided it was easier to
> move to 4.11.

We all would reccomend the same path: Move to Xorg, like everyone
else. We have shifted to Xorg for good reason - XFree86 will die soon.
Great things are happening in Xorg.

Oh, you probably won't need to recompile your X clients when you do.
Merely fix the dependencies to keep portupgrade happy. I think I used
portupgrade -o... when I Xorged my 4.x box.

> > > - Although outdated, the downloadable java support package was available
> > > for 4.x only.

Sorry, we'd really like to do something about that. But Sun won't let
us. Java 1.4 is nice an mature, but the only way to get a binary is to
have a friend. Complain in the right direction, please.
> While here, let me mention what I think about gcc4.0 and FreeBSD 6.0: FreeBSD
> 6.0 should be able to be built with gcc 4.x even when it's not a good idea to
> have it as the default compiler.

Remember that 6.0 will be a new technology release, just like 5.[012]
were. That was a great idea that woked well. I think they are planning
6.1 in August to be .STABLE, but I think that's overly optomistic.
Look for 6.2, around December.