boot banner project

Toxa postfix at sendmail.ru
Thu Apr 28 03:54:01 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 03:03:06PM -0400, Mike Edenfield wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to do this without having to switch to an entirely
> >raster-based console?  Raster consoles (like what SuSE uses) have
> >been discussed in the past, and the common thinking is that the
> >loss in reliability and loss in speed is a significant issue to
> >consider.
>
> One possible alternative to an all-out graphics display would be a
> 'prettified' text console.  I'm thinking of what Gentoo and older RedHat
> systems did (haven't used RH in years, dunno if this still applies)
> where about 80% of the system log messages are hidden behind a simple
> task list:
>
> Mounting File Systems ... [ok]
> Starting xl0          ... [ok]
>
> etc.  With, of course, the obligatory cyan, magenta, and bright green
> colors.  While partly eye candy, I find it much easier to deal with than

This is the most stupid idea I've ever head. Please, PLEASE, don't waste
your time turning FreeBSD into pink lolypop. Is it already
super-perfect-mega-stable-with-all-desired-features-implemeted? IMHO if
somebody wants to  spare his time and skills working on freebsd, he should choose
more useful direction for his mights and power. For example, take a look
at all these PRs...