boot banner project

Ryan Sommers ryans at gamersimpact.com
Wed Apr 27 11:29:36 PDT 2005

Mike Jakubik said:
>> Thanks for the link! It should prove very useful.
>
> Personally, i prefer the current fbsd boot process over the linux flashy
> ones. Its useless bloat, that wont impress any serious audience. But if
> thats what you want, you can always use splash.

Those are my sentiments exactly. I viewed it as fluff. It's like having 5
cup holders in a 2 seat car that can't go over 50mph, downhill. Anytime
I've seen the colorful graphics Linux boot it makes me scoff. To me it
just looks like developers time that could have been better spent
elsewhere. But, it's their time they can spend it how they want. I'd
rather them add frivilous features to an open source package than charge
outrageous prices for them.

However, I DO think FreeBSD needs some more fluff in certain areas. While
I don't want to see FreeBSD turn into a desktop OS that grandma can use, I
do think the desktop market is a large niche for Open Source operating
systems that need a little fluff and eye candy to turn heads. It's when
those heads turn that corporate dollars flow toward the real development.
Which, no matter what you say, without money open source developers would
be living in boxes, someone has to pay the bill sometime.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans at gamersimpact.com