library problems with -CURRENT

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Tue Apr 26 04:20:57 PDT 2005

Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> Holm Tiffe writes:
>
>>Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>>
>>>It's not in UPDATING, but a change was recently made (can't say exactly
>>>when) which affects %gs/%fs. If you're using -current then you really
>>>should watch the commits, too!
>>>

>>Yes we should watch the commitlogs, but it's really bad behavior to brake
>>that many of the installed Applications and not to mention this fact in
>>UPDATING.  That's what IMHO version numbers for.
>>

> If you'd been watching the commits then you would have seen that the
> problem has already been resolved in -CURRENT and RELENG_5.

I hate to be negative, but the general rule I've always seen (and I
believe it is even in the handbook) is that you should subscribe to
-CURRENT, and read UPDATING, since that is where notes like this would
be.  I've never once heard anyone say that I should be watching the
commits too.

See, the thing is, that I'm running -CURRENT not because I can whip out
C code in a snap or help write the newest Flux Capacitating Fligamabob,
but because I can help test and find bugs, debug, etc.  So I may
subscribe to the commits, but I will have little to no idea what I see
in my inbox unless someone explicitly puts a comment in there saying
"this is gonna break some stuff - look out for XYZ", which obviously
isn't going to happen (and I wouldn't expect it to).

I saw a little chatter about this on -arch, but I didn't see anything in
  UPDATING or on this list mentioning the problem was fixed until just
now.  I never complained, but it might be good practice to keep our
'watch list' for -CURRENT users to a minimum to help keep the number of
-CURRENTers up.

Take everything I just said with a grain of salt, I'm just a 'user'.

Eric