Too Evil, Too Furious

/dev/null null at dnswatch.com
Mon Apr 25 22:35:46 PDT 2005

>> I see there are about 50 D-Link DWL-G510 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
>> Cards
>> available on Ebay. They aren't but about $16.00 US. I'd be willing to
>> pick
>> one up and send it to you. What do I need to ask the seller to ensure
>> that
>> I get the right one? I haven't tried looking for the other cards on your
>> list yet. But I got to thinking that most of the sellers on Ebay are
>> pretty
>> helpful. So if one wanted to know about the card they are selling -
>> where
>> they got it, what it looks like, etc... that might be an added resource
>> in helping you in your quest.
>
> Well, the problem, see, is I don't know exactly how to identify which
> cards I need, which is why I was asking people to describe to me the
> ones the had. :)

"- Marvell wireless -- supposedly D-Link used this on a card called the
  DWL-G510, but only on the first revision."

So if I understood you correctly, all I needed to do was to ask if the
one they are selling was "first revision".

This was my understanding based on the info you provided above. Sorry, my
mistake.

> I'm not interested in getting stuff off eBay anyway. eBay is the debbil.
> And not in a good way.
>
> It looks like I have an offer for a bunch of stuff, so for now it seems
> Project Evil's hardware needs will be met.
>
>> I was also wondering if Project Evil will
>> suport the Compaq 32-bit NetFlex-2 controllers? I got a Compaq EISA box
>> some time ago and a whole bunch of the Netflex-2 cards with the
>> intention
>> of making a FreeBSD Switch out of it. But I wasn't thinking or I
>> wouldn't
>> have *assumed* that FBSD supported the Netflex-2 card.
>>  Anyway, still have all the eqpt. and think it would be a worthy project
>> that I'd love to complete. Oh, one more thing; if it would be of any
>> help,
>> I can cough up an IP and a remote box that you can have *complete*
>> control
>> of if you like.
>
> Project Evil only supports cardbus, PCI and (to some small extent)
> PCMCIA. I have plans to make it support USB. But EISA? Sorry, can't help
> you. Nobody makes Windows XP drivers for EISAbus devices. :/

Interesting, I'm running it on one of the 2 Compaq + Netflex-2 boxes as
I speak. Looks as though I'll have to wait until you finish it. So that I
can coerce it for my (others?) needs as well.

P.S. The offer for the IP and remote box was not contingent on you doing
the Netflex-2 card. But I suppose it wouldn't be of much use except to test
a card in it. Just trying to help.

Best wishes.
-Chris

> -Bill
>
> --
> -Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
>                  wpaul at windriver.com | Wind River Systems
>               <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose

 If only Western Electric had found a way to offer
binary licenses for the UNIX system back in 1974,
the UNIX system would be running on all PC's today
rather than DOS/Windows.