GCC 4.0 [Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast]

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Mon Apr 25 13:42:11 PDT 2005

Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> For what it's worth:  Some friends of mine are claiming that "Tiger"
> (MacOS 10.4) will be coming with gcc 4.0.  And Tiger is already
> shipping, although the official release date isn't until this Friday.

Yes, it's public knowledge that the Tiger Dev tools are based on GCC
4.0.

> I'm not saying that we should switch to it because of that, but I'm
> just mentioning it as an interesting data point (assuming it is true!).

This would be a good reason to switch if our primary platform was
PowerPC and Objective C, since I'm sure that Apple has given those a
very good workout.  But for i386, amd64, and sparc64, there might not
have been as much good exposure yet.

Scott