FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Sun Apr 24 18:36:14 PDT 2005

At 09:02 PM 24/04/2005, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > I also tried a CURRENT snapshot then and there wasn't much of a difference
> > between it and RELENG_5.
>
>disk I/O or filesystem I/O?  It would be interesting to benchmark the
>latter since all the recent VFS work.

This was on hardware using the 3ware driver which is essentially the same
on RELENG_4 and RELENG_5. I also tested IDE performance which gave similar
results (i.e. RELENG_4 and DragonFly was better), but the drivers are
different so its hard to gage if thats a driver issue or not.   I am not
sure if any of those tests answers your question, as I am not sure how to
answer it.  I was looking for a way to measure overall throughput that
samba, NFS, database and imap servers could do either on RELENG_4 or
RELENG_5 as we start to migrate various servers from RELENG_4 to RELENG_5.

I have a faster disk subsystem I can test against (Areca SATA RAID) that
works on RELENG_4,RELENG_5 and HEAD and could re-run the tests varying just
the base OS.  If there is a particular test you feel best simulates disk
performance, I am happy to test.

         ---Mike