SMP on Compaq DL380

Andre Guibert de Bruet andy at siliconlandmark.com
Sat Apr 23 20:04:45 PDT 2005

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, Matthew Sullivan wrote:

> Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
>
>> Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step
>> Flags
>>         0       0x10    BSP, usable     6       2       1       0x0381
>>         0       0x10    AP, usable      6       8       6       0x383fbff
>>
>> The APIC IDs here are the same. The flags on the would-be AP are what I
>> would expect for a recent i686. The BSP barely qualify it to be a gen-1
>> Pentium. I wouldn't trust any of the values being reported. Could you
>> obtain the real identity of these CPUs and confirm that they're not
>> mismatched? The easy way of doing this if your BIOS doesn't post this
>> information is using a Knoppix LiveCD and doing a cat /proc/cpuinfo.
>
> Ok can't do the knoppix thing atm, however...
>
> CPU0 -> 866/256/133/1.65v SL47S
> CPU1 -> 866/256/133/1.70v SL48V
>
> Both are shown detected by the BIOS, and both are shown as 866MHz 133MHz
> busses, and 256k cache (as one would expect)
>
>> If both CPUs are reporting the same ID, I can see how we're not launching
>> the second proc; We assume that ID 0 is the BSP and additional processors
>> have different APIC IDs. Is something really borked here? Yep!
>
> But the acpidump -t shows 2 different ID's....

I don't know the way our ACPI implementation handles the information found
in the tables well enough to be able to tell you exactly what we do with
the IDs that are found in that dump. That's Nate Lawson's domain (I added
him to the CC-list).

>From your dmesg, it doesn't even appear that we're seeing the second CPU
listed in your DSDT. There is only one reference of:
cpu<X>: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0

Andy