What happened to the "d_maj" member of "struct cdevsw" in CURRENT?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Mon Apr 18 21:45:52 PDT 2005

Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> I've been trying to help Mat Kanner with his yet-to-be-committed MIDI
> patches, and have run into a perplexing problem on amd64 CURRENT.  It
> seems the "d_maj" member of "struct cdevsw" no longer exists (in
> sys/sys/conf.h).  This is causing Mat's MIDI patches to fail with:
>

>>===> sound/midi (all)
>>cc -O -pipe -march=athlon64 -Wno-error -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE
>>-nostdinc -I-   -include /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM/opt_global.h -I.
>>-I@ -I@/contrib/altq -I@/../include -finline-limit=8000 -fno-common -g
>>-fno-omit-frame-pointer -I/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM -mcmodel=kernel
>>-mno-red-zone  -mfpmath=387 -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow
>>-msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -Wall
>>-Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
>>-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
>>-fformat-extensions -std=c99 -c
>>/usr/src/sys/modules/sound/midi/../../../dev/sound/midi/midi.c
>>/usr/src/sys/modules/sound/midi/../../../dev/sound/midi/midi.c:204:
>>error: unknown field `d_maj' specified in initializer
>

> When was this member removed, and why?  And how to work around this?
>
> Thanks!

Major numbers are now dynamically assigned.  The shims for allowing
drivers to choose a static major number were removed a few months ago.
There is no work-around for this; just don't include the field anymore
in 6-current sources.  If there is something that thinks it needs
explicit knowledge of major numbers, let me know and we can discuss how
to fix it.

Scott