Help Wanted! [Re: Does anybody use gdb for kernel debugging any more?]

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed Apr 13 16:22:10 PDT 2005

[Resending to get wider coverage]

All,

While there are ways to work around some of the problems that Greg
describes, the simple fact is that kernel debugging has gone downhill
quite badly in the past year.  Much of this decay appears to be due
to the rush to get GDB 6.x imported in time for FreeBSD 5.3.  I thank
Marcel profusely for working on this, but more work is needed.  I'm
looking for volunteers to spend a few evenings digging into GDB, KDB,
and DDB and working out as many issues as possible.  Greg's email
should serve as a good starting point for these tasks.

Thanks,

Scott