xl(4) & polling

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 10 13:09:11 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 06:54:20PM -0700, Rob wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > On Mar 24, 2005 Christopher Nehren wrote:
> >
> >>On 2005-03-24, Ruslan Ermilov scribbled these
> >>curious markings:

> >> Can I apply this to my RELENG_5 box without making
> >> the machine melt? If so, I'll start testing
> >> immediately with my handy-dandy just-found spare
> >> xl (3C905-TX).
>
> I have a dual-homed router+NAT, which has two
> 3C905B-TX lan cards. I never have considered polling,
> because it was not supported for these cards; hence I
> have little knowledge about it.
>
> I am considering this patch on my 5.3-STABLE router.
> Is there a proper test I can do to verify that the
> polling is indeed working as expected?

Yes.  The usual polling(4) test, i.e., you should get
more interactivity under a high network load and polling
switched on, while network performance should stay if
not better than with polling off, but at least the
same.

> PS: if this makes it into the official sources, then
>     don't forget to also add xl(4) to the polling(4)
>     manpage.

It did (last month).  The manpage was also updated.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org