GEOM architecture and the (lack of) need for foot-shooting

Andrey Chernov ache at nagual.pp.ru
Fri Apr 8 08:54:12 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 07:40:48PM +0400, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> But KERNEL prevents me to change DISK
> partition table.

To expand this one in case of confusion, saying KERNEL here (for
simplicity) I mean GEOM view of things things which believes (and I think
it is a big mistake and source of many problems, including my one) that
in-core table must always reflect on-disk table and vice versa.

More traditional and shared by many OSes is another view: on-disk table
must be read once to the in-core table and forget at the running time.

--
http://ache.pp.ru/