ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=xxx

Tristan tris at infoeng.flinders.edu.au
Thu Sep 30 18:51:07 PDT 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 03:28:38 +0200
Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 08:52:27PM -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 09:35:15AM +0930, Tristan wrote:
> >
> > > FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT with GENERIC kernel built 27th Sep.
> > > On a SunBlade 100 I see these messages regularly when
> > > dma is enabled. The messages go away when I either use
> > > atacontrol to set the mode to PIO4 or set hw.ata.ata_dma to 0
> > > I do get data corruption on the disk if left in DMA mode.
> >
> > Just FYI my primary test machine is a SunBlade 100, it seems to
> > be doing OK with a kernel built from this morning's source.  I've
> > been doing most of my builds from an NFS server though, I'll do
> > a check with a full buildworld which will use the local drive more.
> >
> > > ad0: 14594MB <ST315310A/3.28> [29651/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA66
> > > acd0: CDRW <LTN486S/YSU1> at ata2-slave PIO4
> > > ata3-master: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
> > > ad1: 39266MB <IBM-DTLA-305040/TW4OA60A> [79780/16/63] at ata3-master UDMA33
> > > Mounted root from ufs:/dev/ad0a.
> >
> > Is the data corruption spread across both drives, or just ad1?  That
> > message about the cable or device being limited could be a clue.
> >

> Did you replace the cable of the primary channel? AFAIK on Blade 100
> there's a hardware bug that causes data corruption when using UDMA66
> and Sun ships them with a 40-pin cable as sort of a work-around. So
> these non-ATA66 cable messages should be rather normal on Blade 100.
> Not all revisions might be affected though.

The primary channel is using the Sun Supplied cable, which appears
to be an 80 wire cable. The message about "non-ATA66 cable or device"
is expected because that cable is only a 40 wire cable. that seems to
be a non-issue anyway, as it is only ad0 that is having errors.
I've had a few people say to disconnect the CDROM and see what happens,
perhaps its also worth trying the CDROM in UDMA mode, so I'm not mixing
modes ?