HEADS-UP: Library version number bumps

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Sep 29 16:48:52 PDT 2004

In message: <Pine.GSO.4.43.0409291006430.13426-100000 at sea.ntplx.net>
            Daniel Eischen <deischen at freebsd.org> writes:
: This has been mentioned before, but when breaking (or potentially
: breaking) ABI, can we bump the version numbers to libfoo.YYYYMMDD?
: Once release comes, we can move them back to SHLIB_MAJOR + 1 (or
: even decide to keep them at SHLIB_MAJOR if ABI wasn't really broken).
: This helps folks running HEAD so they can update their ports over time.

In a lot of respects I like this idea.  However, the unanswered
question would be how to implement it.  The bumps are easy to do (the
version number is basically meaningless), but frequeny bumps have
issues as well.  Laying those aside for the moment, my concern is how
do we do the 'one release comes' part there.  How do we know if they
are binary compatible or not?  Wouldn't this tend to encourage people
to make binary incompatible libraryes?

Warner