HEADS-UP: Library version number bumps

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Wed Sep 29 09:56:32 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 09:37:32AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > It looks like we should probably bump the version of a couple of
> > > the system libraries.  With LOTS of help from Kris it looks like
> > > this is the list we think needs a version bump, with the version
> > > from 4.X being placed in compat4x:
> > >
> > >        libgnuregex.so.2
> > >        libhistory.so.4
> > >        libm.so.2
> > >        libncurses.so.5

This is ncurses 5.2
I understood the comment for "4.X" to denote the FreeBSD 4.9 (or whatever).

> > >        libopie.so.2
> > >        libpcap.so.2
> > >        libreadline.so.4
> > >        libwrap.so.3
> > >
> > > The bumps will be coming soon...
> >
> > Why do they need to be bumped? Why use the version from 4.x? It sounds like
> > this will break a lot of 5.x binaries.
>
> I compared the exported symbols in 4.x and 5.x, compiled the list of

We're talking about ncurses 5.2 "libncurses.so.5".
The differences between 4.2 and 5.0 were listed in the release announcement.

There are additions for the private "_nc_" symbols across the 5.x releases,
but those are used only in the tools - tic, infocmp, etc. - which FreeBSD
does not install, so there's nothing to discuss with those.

So - what changes have you found from 5.2 to 5.4 which break an application?

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net