HEADS UP: named now runs chroot'ed by default

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 28 06:38:27 PDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Makoto Matsushita wrote:

> DougB> Comments and suggestions are welcome, but please try to keep the
> DougB> bikeshedding about specific bits down to an absolute minimum.
>
> One question: what do you think about named(8)'s syslog messages?

I think they are very important. :)

> It seems that current configuration doesn't consider that -- chrooted
> named(8)'s syslog messages go to nowhere.

I need to amend the instructions to say:

/etc/rc.d/named stop
/etc/rd.d/syslogd stop
/etc/rc.d/syslogd start
/etc/rc.d/named start

The syslogd script already has the logic to create the socket if named
shows up chrooted in rc.conf.

Thanks for the reminder,

Doug