Laptop recommendations?

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Mon Sep 27 14:35:36 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 14:16, George Hartzell wrote:
> Peter Schultz writes:
>  > How far off are we from a stable version of FreeBSD PPC?  Apple's
>  > laptops are sweet.
>
> Except for the D#@% caps lock key.  It's IN THE WRONG PLACE and
> apparent best tool for swapping it around (uControl) doesn't work
> reliably and the dang led stays on anyway....

Huh?  I'm looking at my powerbook right now and the caps lock key is in
the exact same place as it is on my logitec keyboard and my compaq
laptop.  Only difference that I see is the backspace key says delete and
there is no "delete" key that kills the character on the cursor.

> I've been told that the behaviour is in the firmware and is
> unavoidable w/out drastic measures.

I'd say this is a minor nit that you could get use to over time.  My
biggest complaint for all laptops is a decent mouse replacement.  I'm no
fan of glidepoints or eraser mice.  Plus, no 3 buttons - 1 for macs, 2
for pcs.

I have to say that a powerbook is one high quality piece of work.  My
compaq presario 700 looks like junk in comparison.