USB memory stick hotswap problems

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Mon Sep 27 12:51:40 PDT 2004

Whoa, easy there.  I think Mike was just providing some (what may
be considered superfluous/obvious) feedback to the issue at hand; he
honestly stated up front he had no solution, which implies he's not sure
of how to go about fixing the problem at hand.

I viewed his "criticism" as more positive than negative; I took it to
read "this is something we definitely need to look at and resolve, not
just put on the back-burner."  I think the number of people who manage
and maintain the USB stack is, as you ptu it, limited.  I don't know
what happened to Nick Hibma (the original maintainer/porter of the USB
stack), but it seems things have changed hands.

Finally, albeit a bit off-topic: financial contributions don't always
make things happen quicker in the open-source world.  Although we have
less "managerial" red-tape to deal with, there are still only 24 hours
in a day, and many of us work full-time jobs.  Time is limited,
regardless if there's a donation involved or otherwise.  :-)

Just my $0.02.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.                             |