Software RAID1 with atacontrol

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 27 08:07:27 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 11:39:20PM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
+> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:47, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+> > +> Therefore I think that there is something fishy here. Since the same
+> > +> code is used for Promise RAID cards, the support for those card may be
+> > +> "broken" as well (at least unreliable in case of a crash, which is a
+> > +> problem since RAID1 is meant to add reliability in case of a crash).
+> > +> What can I do to help debug this ?
+> >
+> > I can only suggest gmirror(8):)
+>
+> You can't boot from gmirror(8) with a hosed disk :(

I wonder how BIOS react on such disk. You can setup in BIOS to boot from
'C', 'D', etc. disks and it will be cool if 'D' can be choosen when 'C'
is broken.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl