Laptop recommendations?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Mon Sep 27 06:00:46 PDT 2004

Am Mo, den 27.09.2004 schrieb Josef Karthauser um 13:14:
> My Dell Inspiron 5000e is getting a bit long in the tooth, and the
> keyboard has just packed in :( so I'm in the market for a new laptop.
> Does anyone have any recommendations for me?  In particular I want a
> working ACPI/suspend interface and this Dell has never been supported
> well - fans on all the time, doesn't resume properly, etc.
>
> My previous machine was a Sony Vaio which I loved, but was fairly
> expensive and the repair support wasn't very good.  Dell's support was
> much better and I'd prefer a Dell I think, but I don't know whether more
> recent models fair better with power management support, etc.
> Any helpful hints would be gladly received.

Try to find a store that let's you try out FreeBSD on their show-room
laptops (forget that, if you want a Dell...)

And if you go that route, only buy the model you actually tried out.
Because chipsets and specs change very fast in the laptop-world - though
you may be better-off with business-class laptops in this respect.

I still don't know if I should replace my Inspiron 4000 with a PowerBook
or with a x86-laptop - the price of a D600 seems to come very close
anyway and the PB would be hassle-free in the ACPI-departement at
least....

Does anyone know if and when a newer version of FreeSBIE comes out ?

Rainer
~     Rainer Duffner - rainer at ultra-secure.de     ~
~           Freising - Munich - Germany           ~
~    Unix - Linux - BSD - OpenSource - Security   ~
~  http://www.ultra-secure.de/~rainer/pubkey.pgp  ~