Intel ICH5R Raid Support

jesk jesk at killall.org
Sun Sep 26 07:06:48 PDT 2004

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-September/038018.htm

> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/60344
> >
> > http://www.techno-obscura.com/~delgado/notes/fbsd-ich5SATAraid.html
> >
> > --
> > | Jeremy Chadwick                                 jdc at parodius.com |
> > | Parodius Networking                        http://www.parodius.com/ |
> > | UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, USA |
> > | Making life hard for others since 1977.                             |
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 11:15:46AM +0200, jesk wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > i got a problem with a Asus P4P800S-E Motherboard and the Intel
> > > ICH5R-Southbridge
> > > Chipset. I configured Raid1 on the board and created a Raid Volume on
> the
> > > two SATA
> > > devices. After that i installed FreeBSD 5.3 BETA5 on one of the SATA
> devices
> > > then rebooted
> > > the sytem and everythings seems to work. I updated the system to
> RELENG_5
> > > and rebooted
> > > again but then the bootloader couldnt find a kernel.
> > > Is there any known problem with the chipset and the raid
functionality?
> If
> > > there is, why could
> > > the bootloader find a kernel by the first reboot before i updated the
> > > system?
> > >
> > > thanks for any hints!

Big thanks for the hint.
Im not very happy with the atacontrol solution, i make bad experiences with
vinum some years ago and dont want software raid solutions any more.
now i decided to buy a hardware raid, but i dont have any ideas which one to
take..
can somebody recommend some SATA-Controllers with Raid1 support for
FreeBSD5?

best regards,
Christian