Detaching USB stick crashes BETA4/BETA5

Jochen Gensch incmc at gmx.de
Sun Sep 26 05:14:49 PDT 2004

 > Ian Dowse also is having problems in this area.  He suggested the
 > following patch to me.  I have some concerns about the patch, but they
 > are theoretical (what does it mean when a parent is detached, but all
 > its children are attached?), but given the current state of the newbus
 > code it will fix the problem for you.

Apparently this patch really stops the kernel panic. BUT there seems to
be a problem with devfs, when reattaching the usb hub / devices.
Permissions set in /etc/devfs.conf do not take effect any more. Even
worse, if you do a ls -l /dev, then all devices show permissions like '0'.

My System is a 5.3-BETA6 built yesterday.

So maybe your concern is right in some way... hopefully this is gonna be
fixed in 5.3-RELEASE!?

Jochen