USB memory stick hotswap problems

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Sat Sep 25 21:50:41 PDT 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:29, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Can't usbd (or better yet, usbd.conf) be modified or changed in some way
> to automatically handle the unmounting of any existing filesystems that
> match the device which is mounted?
>
> Seems like we're eventually going to need this to make hot-swappable USB
> devices more friendly.  I understand why you must unmount a device
> before SCSI CAM gets disconnected from it, but it just seems that this
> should be a job for usbd.

The problem is that once the device is removed it's too late :(

One possibility would be to add a facility to mark all the data for a certain
device to be non-critical so it will throw it away when it tries to flush it
and fails instead of panicing.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum