Plans for after FreeBSD-5.3-RELEASE.

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Fri Sep 24 03:54:05 PDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:23:26 +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> wrote:

> "Jose M Rodriguez" <josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es> writes:
>>   - uniform lauch.  We can't use /etc/ttys to launch gdm.
>
> if 'sed -i.bak -e s/xdm/gdm/ /etc/ttys' doesn't work then gdm is
> broken.

Maybe.

But I can also blame init.

What ENV is used to launch gdm?
It is valid for a X11 app?
We can tweak it in any place?

I think that I can launch gdm from init using a wrapper, but I really
prefer use /etc/rc.d/xdm

We are not talking about deprecate xdm/kdm launch from init via /etc/ttys.
Only of make /etc/rc.d/xdm operative to launch any of them.

I think this may get, at last, a try.  If this doesn't affect other
subsystems or procedures (I think so), the admin may decide latter what
method is used.

--
   josemi