Default support for GPT

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Sep 23 20:23:51 PDT 2004

At 5:48 PM -0700 9/23/04, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     I considered GPT but I want to have much more control over the
>     DragonFly 'partitions' then I believe GPT offers.  e.g. we need
>     to be able to uniquely identify partitions in a WAN environment,
>     store the core RAID topology, and so on and so forth... everything
>     you need to operate in a clustered environment really has to be
>     made part of the partition table.

What would that mean for people who like to setup multi-boot
situations, though?  Will dragonfly require that all partitions
on a disk be dragonfly-format?  Could you go with GPT for the
initial partition table, and then store all the extra info that
you want at the start of each partition?

And as I sit here installing a new machine, I also wonder if you
should pick a different partition-type for Dragonfly, just so you
don't have to worry about matching future UFS/UFS2 changes.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu